What is the first search engine
The history of search engines - from the first index for FTP archives in 1990 to Microsoft's mobile voice assistant in 2014.
With timelines like this, you notice again how quickly time has passed - or how much you have aged yourself in the meantime. Because I still remember well how I surfed the Internet for the first time in 1993 while studying abroad in England.
At that time, for example, there was still the gopher service as a graphic access system to the Internet - i.e. an alternative to the World Wide Web, which appeared around the same time. Correct internet search engines were still in short supply. The very first was Archie - a search index specially designed for FTP archives from 1990.
As the first major search engine, Excite was launched in 1993. For many early Internet users like myself, Altavista, designed by the US computer manufacturer Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC), was even more important. The service started in early 1994 and was something of the search engine standard for the first few years.
That should only change with the start of today's search leader ‘Google - albeit not immediately: After the start in 1996, it felt like it took until around the turn of the millennium for Google to take the lead in this country as well. The rest is history - today, Google has a quasi-monopoly with a market share of 93 percent in Europe.
But even after that there are still innovations in the search engine market - just think of the Google alternative DuckDuckGo, which got by without storing user data and which got started in 2008. Or the voice-based search assistant Siri for the iPhone from 2011 and Cortana in the Microsoft mobile system Windows Phone since 2014.
For more facts and figures from 25 years of Internet search engine history, click twice on the following infographic (it will be smaller the first time):
A quarter of a century IT revolution: 25 years of the World Wide Web
From the first email to the first tweet: The most important Internet milestones
15 years of Google: From online search to Internet dominator
Infographic: How much internet usage increased between 1984 and 2013
- Which mango variety is apple-shaped?
- What is the easiest animal to train
- Can artificial grass be recycled
- How can I deactivate a support plan
- What is my future 1
- Rich people write diaries
- What is must have equipment for BDSM
- Radio is an audio device
- How can you reduce waste
- What is authority in moral judgment
- What is the total supply of Dogecoin
- Why does air move cold
- What are useful new things to learn
- How does cement harden?
- Evaporates protein when cooking meat
- What gas is in a street lamp
- Unlocking a bootloader clears data
- Is it possible to kill like Dexter?
- What do Cav Scouts learn in AIT
- Who is your favorite Brazilian model
- Does LASIK eye surgery really work
- Can I only do BSC in math
- Wells Fargo has changed
- What is meant by VIVA school activities