Makes you smarter to solve crossword puzzles
Crossword puzzles protect against mental decline, but differently than expected
Those who regularly solve crossword puzzles or read complicated books do not degrade so quickly in old age - many think and try to puzzle hard every day and thus counteract mental decline. But British scientists show in 2018: The connection is different.
Researchers led by Roger Staff from the University of Aberdeen examined 498 volunteers for their study. They carefully selected their test subjects: All of them were born in 1936, so they are 81 or 82 years old. And they all know how intelligent they were as children. Because they had already taken part in an intelligence test, the so-called Moray House Test, at the age of eleven.
The scientists began their examinations when the subjects were 64 years old and called them in for new tests several times over a period of 15 years. They had to crack various puzzles that showed, among other things, how fast they could think and how good their memory was. The researchers made a note of who had gone through which school career, which training or which studies. In addition, all participants completed a questionnaire asking how much they liked to face intellectual challenges such as reading or discussing certain ideas.
The researchers observed a connection between intelligence and formal education: Those who had a high IQ and were better educated preferred to challenge themselves intellectually. And: those who regularly challenged their brains were mentally fitter in old age.
- How did the Nazis die?
- How lonely it is to be an academic
- Who are Atmel's top competitors
- New digital marketing techniques 1
- Should Jussie Smollet's fees have been dropped
- How can it be worthwhile to mine crypto currency
- Australia has its own celebrities
- Should use compact for people with dry skin
- Who designed the Muncherys website
- Should buy Facebook Snap
- What is it like to have braces?
- Would you rather be precise or precise
- How are live horses transported in airplanes
- Why do my walls make scratching noises?
- Live woodpeckers in Great Britain
- What are the diets for phenylketonuria
- What is punishment versus discipline
- How is ROPOSO
- How do you maintain tooth enamel
- Do you have tourists in your country
- Where can I find bridal clutches
- What's the best Rammstein song
- What is the discount store in Qatar
- Why does Quora discriminate against people with credits