Marijuana causes tooth discoloration
Constant smoking will ruin your gums, but not much else
Photo: Miranda Nelson | Flickr | CC BY 2.0
As long as you don't mind getting shitty teeth and permanently bleeding gums in your 30s, if some scientists have their way, you can continue to smoke weed on a regular basis. Well, in a way, anyway.
According to a new study, if you have used cannabis for many years and into early middle age, you have relatively few real health problems to fear if you do not mix the cannabis with tobacco. Researchers found that regular smoking weed did not negatively affect a number of bodily functions, but long-time cannabis users suffered from bad gums. The study carried out by JAMA Psychiatry published, accompanied more than 1,000 New Zealanders from their 18th to 38th birthday and recorded their cannabis use on the basis of their own data.
The study compared the health of stoners to that of normal smokers and found that tobacco causes many more problems in comparison, including poorer lung function and metabolism.
But how bad is it now with the gums? According to the study, 55.61 percent of people who have used cannabis regularly for more than 15 years had periodontal disease — the gums around the necks of the teeth — compared to just 13.53 percent of people who have never smoked weed in their lives. Periodontal disease can cause teeth to loosen and ultimately fall out.
"One thing that surprised me was that we didn't see a link between cannabis use and poor lung function," said Madeline Meier, a professor of psychology at Arizona State University and a study author. However, she pointed out that an earlier study with the same New Zealand experimental group had shown that high cannabis use was linked to an increased risk of psychotic illness, IQ decline and socio-economic decline. Somehow it doesn't sound so positive.
Meier says more research is needed to find out how long-term cannabis use affects the elderly. There are currently no figures on this.
Get the best of VICE emailed to you every week!
- What is asset management
- Which psychotherapy books does a psychotherapist read?
- Which bike is perfect for students
- What do foreigners think of Andhra Pradesh
- How common or unusual are panic attacks
- Your neighbor is making your life miserable
- Why do grades determine my life?
- Are muesli and oats the same
- You can fry and fry a beef steak
- Is a mental illness genetically transmitted to the offspring
- What is movement in free fall
- Is it possible that n 2 n
- Can environmental factors cause autism?
- What are some examples of straw feminism
- What is your head circumference
- Which institute offers mean stack online training?
- Why is Moore's Law important
- What makes people complex
- Who was the founder of Brahma Samaj
- What is the Latin word for resuscitation
- What are polyhedra
- India is endowed with fresh water
- How do detachable pool fences work?
- Why do earthquakes sometimes cause a tsunami?
- How to Make DMT Smoke Safely
- What is a thyroid gland 1
- What is the full form of IED
- Amazon starts its own crypto currency
- What is a flowing fountain
- Why is adoption restricted
- Do animals feel pain
- What is the GST about
- Is the term political science an oxymoron