Does a marketing company need a license
Buy and set up Dynamics 365 Marketing
- 14 minutes to read
This article shows you how to set up a new Dynamics 365 Marketing environment after purchasing a license.
Buy Dynamics 365 Marketing
Dynamics 365 Marketing offers several licensing options:
Production versions of Dynamics 365 Marketing are licensed per environment. Each environment is licensed individually, with the price of an instance depending on the number of items stored in the database Marketing contacts directs. Marketing contacts only include those you gain through marketing activities such as emails, landing pages, forms, LinkedIn integration, events, and surveys. Contacts that you did not make through marketing activities are not counted as part of your Dynamics 365 Marketing license. Each license also includes guidelines that limit the total number of free Litmus inbox previews you can view each month and marketing emails you can send each month. Read your license agreement for full details on the quota limits that apply to you. You can view your quota limits and consumption on the Quota Limits page. While planning your marketing activities, be sure to buy enough marketing leads to stay within your target.
An exclusive sandbox instance enables you to set up a test environment for trying out new functions or adjustments. Sandboxes contain solutions and services and are fully functional, but are much stricter and cannot be used to run production campaigns.
A solution-only license includes all entities and solutions for Dynamics 365 Marketing, but not marketing services. This means that no marketing features are available in this option (including email creation, email delivery, segmentation, customer travel, etc.). This license is intended for use in development and test environments when making adjustments, fixing compatibility issues, importing or exporting solutions, and performing other types of development and non-functional marketing tests. A solution-only license is included with all paid licenses and allows you to install the solution-only app on as many environments as required.
As shown below, the solution-only app is labeled as a separate Dynamics 365 Marketing app called Dynamics 365 marketing solution only displayed in the Power Platform admin center. You can set up and configure the solution-only app using the Marketing Setup Wizard.
As in production environments, updates for app-only solutions are automatically pushed to all customers each time an update becomes available. To convert a solution-only environment to a production environment, make sure you have an unconfigured production license, then click OK. Run the setup wizard to apply that license to the existing solution-only environment.
When you sign up for Dynamics 365 Marketing, you choose a license option that defines your contract term and the various requirements for this period. Each of the contacts that you gain through marketing activities during the contract period will be counted towards your total contact specification, even if you delete an existing marketing contact during the contract period or otherwise stop marketing. You can only reduce your purchased contact preferences on the anniversary of your contact.
For more information on Dynamics 365 Marketing pricing, licensing, and requirements, see the Dynamics 365 Licensing Guide.
Solution-only apps do not support portals and do not contain solutions for portals. If you want to use portal-related functions in a non-productive environment, you need to purchase a license.
User and portal licensing
Unlike most model-driven apps in Dynamics 365, the price of Dynamics 365 Marketing is not based on the number of users. Therefore, users who are already licensed to access any Dynamics 365 app on an environment that has Marketing installed can also access Marketing without having to purchase additional licenses. You can also request any number of free Marketing user licenses ("zero euro" licenses) that can be assigned to users who do not have a Dynamics 365 license. However, these free user licenses are only valid for marketing and not for other apps.
You can choose to have your marketing pages, landing pages, and event websites run either on an external web server (e.g. your own CMS system) or on a Dynamics 365 or Power Apps portal that is on the same tenant as your Dynamics 365 Marketing Environment is running. Dynamics 365 and Power Apps portals are licensed separately from Dynamics 365 Marketing. For complete details on portal licensing, see Power Apps and Flow Licensing FAQ. If you use an external website for your events and marketing pages, no portal license is required. Choose which solution to use when completing the Dynamics 365 Marketing setup wizard; You can change your mind later by running it again. More information: Integrate Marketing with a CMS system or a Power Apps portal
For more information about Dynamics 365 Marketing licensing, see Administration and Setup FAQ. For complete information on licensing, including specific quotas and other terms, see the Microsoft Dynamics 365 Licensing Guide.
Requirements and requirements
To be able to run the wizard, the following requirements must be met:
- You must already have a Microsoft 365 tenant.
- An unconfigured Dynamics 365 Marketing app must be available on your tenant.
- You don't need to have a Dynamics 365 Marketing app installed on your Dynamics 365 environment. You can have a maximum of one Dynamics 365 Marketing per environment, and each Dynamics 365 Marketing app can only be used with one Dynamics 365 environment.
- You must log into your tenant with a user account that has all of the following properties:
- A security role (like Global administrator or Service support administrator), which you can use to change the Dynamics 365 target environment. (If you are reinstalling Marketing on an environment where Marketing was previously installed, then you must Service support administrator Users use the same user ID that was used for the initial installation. If you're not sure which ID was used for the initial installation, or if you get errors, try as Global administrator to install.)
- Permissions to register applications in Azure. The global administrator always has this right, but other accounts can also have this right. To confirm this setting for your account, see Do I have permissions to register applications in Azure ?.
- A Dynamics 365 license with the System administrator Security role assigned to your target Dynamics 365 environment. (The Dynamics 365 Marketing license agreement does not require the installing user to have this license. However, a known technical issue currently requires it.)
- You must be in a country / region where the product is supported. The current list of countries / regions in which you can use Dynamics 365 Marketing can be found in the document Microsoft Dynamics 365 - International Availability (PDF for download).
- No browser windows or tabs should be open.
- The browser cache must be cleared.
If you have problems using the setup wizard, see the Administration and Setup FAQ for some possible solutions.
Your system is limited by certain limits and quotas that apply to the number of marketing contacts you can send per month, the number of emails you can send per month, the Litmus previews you can view per month, etc. Please familiarize yourself with the limitations and conditions of the product before using it. These limits vary depending on whether you are using a trial version or a subscription version of the product.
Under Settings > Advanced settings > Other options > Quota limits in Dynamics 365 Marketing you can monitor your usage. More information: Quota restrictions
Add a marketing app to your Microsoft 365 tenant
There are numerous ways to add one or more marketing apps to your Microsoft 365 tenant. For example, you can buy them on the Dynamics 365 Marketing overview page. Alternatively, you can go to Invoicing > Buy services from the Microsoft 365 admin center, or contact your Microsoft sales representative or channel partner. If you purchase a license, an unconfigured Dynamics 365 Marketing app is added for an automatic start of the tenant.
You can have any number of marketing apps on your tenant. None of these apps are initially configured. In addition, they are not assigned to any Dynamics 365 environment. Later, you run the Marketing Setup Wizard to assign the app to an environment and configure it.
Complete the Marketing Setup Wizard.
If you've purchased a license for Dynamics 365 Marketing or have registered for a trial version, an unconfigured Dynamics 365 Marketing app is available on your tenant, but you still need to set it up in order to use it. You can use the Marketing Setup Wizard to review all relevant privacy policies and set up and integrate its various elements.
To set up a new marketing environment:
Go to admin.powerplatform.microsoft.com and log into your Microsoft 365 tenant with an administrator account that has been assigned a Dynamics 365 Marketing license.
Go to resources > Dynamics 365 apps in the left navigation area.
Find and select an unconfigured Dynamics 365 Marketing application in the list Dynamics 365 apps out. Then select the three dots between the columns Surname and status for marketing application.
To start, select the Dynamics 365 Marketing setup wizard and select Manage from the pop-up menu. A message informs you that you are going to the administration page of Dynamics 365 Marketing. Choose OK off to move aside.
To display more details about the selected marketing application, choose details from the pop-up menu.
There may be more than one type of application available. Therefore, choose the type that suits your current needs. Both types of applications have the same setup wizard as described in this procedure. They are marked as follows:
- Dynamics 365 marketing application : This is a complete Dynamics 365 Marketing application that includes both solutions and services. It is intended for production, but can also be used during development and testing.
- Dynamics 365 Marketing - Solution only: This application provides the Dynamics 365 Marketing solutions, including all database entities, but not the service. This means that no marketing functions are available. It offers limited functionality, but can be installed in any number of test or development environments at no additional cost. More information: How is Marketing Licensed.
If the marketing app is listed multiple times, then there are likely multiple marketing apps available on your tenant. Marketing apps that have already been configured have an environment ID appended to the app name and the column status contains the value Configured. For marketing apps that are not assigned, the column contains status the value Not configured, and the name does not have an environment ID.
The setup wizard will start. You use this to make the initial settings for the app. On the first page of the wizard, you can choose how to install the app and choose whether to set up a portal to run your marketing pages and event website.
In the top drop-down list, select the Dynamics 365 organization in which you want to add Dynamics 365 Marketing. (A Dynamics 365 organization is another name for a Dynamics 365 -Surroundings.)
Choose one of the following options for the Web hosting (you can change this at any time later):
- Use your own web server: Select this option if you will be running your landing pages and event website on an external web server or CMS system. With this option, no portal license is required and no portal trial version is created. If you are not sure whether you need a portal, you can select this option first and change it later if necessary.
- Use Dynamics 365 portals or a Power Apps portal: Select this option if you will run your offer and event websites on a dedicated Dynamics 365 or Power Apps portal on your tenant and link them to your Dynamics 365 Marketing environment. Portals are licensed separately. If you already have a license not configured for Dynamics 365 portals or a Power Apps portal on your tenant, Dynamics 365 Marketing will claim and integrate it. If you do not have any Dynamics 365 or Power Apps portal licenses, the setup wizard will create and integrate a test environment for the Power Apps portal for you. The trial version is free but expires after 30 days, after which you either have to pay for it or stop using it. (Power Apps portal licenses are licensed based on usage (logins and page loading), choose Dynamics 365 portal licenses to be provided with a price per environment.) For detailed information on portal licensing, see Power Apps and FAQ on flow licensing.
More information: Integrate Marketing with a CMS system or a Power Apps portal
Power Apps portals are not available in all countries / regions. If this applies to you then the option becomes Use Dynamics 365 portals or a Power Apps portal will not be available and you will see a notice here instead. For more information on how to do marketing without a portal and how to switch to a portal when they are later available in your country / region, see Integrate Marketing with a CMS System or Power Apps -Portal.
If you Use Dynamics 365 portals or a Power Apps portal enter a prefix for your portal url in the field provided (under Where do you want to host your website?). You can also see the full url. All of your portals are hosted on your tenant using a domain name owned by Microsoft plus the subdomain name you selected here. Your contacts and customers can see the URL when they open a portal. So you should choose a subdomain name that they can recognize, such as the name of your organization. The subdomain you select must also be unique among all other subdomains on the same tenant. You will be asked to try again if you make a selection that is already in use. If you want to reuse a name that has already been reported as being in use, you can reclaim it by resetting the relevant portal and then unbinding the existing name, as in Reset All Power Apps Portals That Started With connected to the uninstalled marketing app.
Select to continue Continue out. Dynamics 365 Marketing includes various services, solutions and apps, some of which have license agreements and data protection provisions that you must review and accept. The second page of the setup wizard lists all contracts and terms. Links to further information are also provided. You will also be asked for your organization's mailing address.
Carefully read the consent text that appears for each check box and follow the links so that you understand any relevant issues.If you agree to the terms, check each box to give your consent. Some features are optional, so you can use the product without them. However, the functions are then deactivated. Other features are required and you cannot use Dynamics 365 Marketing without consenting to them.
Enter the full mailing address of your organization in the appropriate field. All marketing email messages sent by Dynamics 365 Marketing must include your organization's mailing address and some other required information. This mandatory information is intended to speed up the delivery of the e-mail and is also necessary to meet the legal requirements for marketing e-mails. More information: Best Practices for Email Marketing
Choose Set up to start setting up the app. A page opens that tracks the status of the setup. It usually takes three hours to set up a paid environment.
Information about the storage of your Microsoft Dynamics 365 Marketing data can be found in the Trust Center.
Microsoft Azure services
Microsoft Dynamics 365 Marketing uses certain Microsoft Azure services. When you activate Dynamics 365 Marketing, you agree that your data may be transferred to certain Azure services so that certain marketing procedures can be carried out.
For more information on Azure service offerings, see the Azure Trust Center.
Custom scheme and display name
Custom schemas and display names for entities, fields, relationships, attributes and other elements in Dynamics 365 Marketing may have references to other object definitions and may be shared on various other channels that are outside of your geographic location (geo-location), such as in the Trust Center and in the Microsoft Online Services Terms. However, the data entered for the elements will not be transferred outside of their geo-position.
For example, you can use the customization capabilities of Dynamics 365 Marketing to create a new entity that contains a new field, as shown in the following table. In this case the texts that are in the columns Schema name and display name are displayed, have references from other object definitions, and are also shared through various other channels that are outside of your geo-location. The field values for specific records (as in the value displayed) remain within the geo-position.
|Schema name||display name||value|
|New entity||Solution1_promotion||promotion||(Not applicable)|
|New field||Solution1_Promtion.name||Surname||Promotion spring 2019|
Do not enter any information for the custom scheme and / or display name that you do not want to be saved outside of your geo-location.
Other examples of accountability for data flows
You are responsible for where data is sent and where it is stored (even outside of your geo-position) if customer content is extracted from Dynamics 365 Marketing using the following actions:
- When sending emails with customer content
- When using submission forms with pre-filled customer content that will appear on the forms
- When configuring Marketing Analytics Connectors to copy interaction data to your own Azure Storage
- When configuring additional expansion mechanisms
You can find more information about data that is used outside of your Dynamics 365 Marketing system and your geo-position in the Trust Center and in the product documentation for the specific Dynamics 365 Marketing offer.
How cookies are used in Dynamics 365 Marketing
Interact with customers via online portals
- Has the battery of the Coolpad Note 5 changed
- Wall can be used as a blog
- What does your personal shrine look like
- When did you see unscrupulous hiring practices?
- What is the IUPAC name of C6H5N2Cl
- Why is adoption restricted
- How does God work
- Why is it so difficult to go abroad
- Which is the best cable company
- Trademarks are intellectual property
- How much is 1000 satoshi worth
- Could mind or thought be another dimension?
- Is it rude to be snarky?
- Goes bad alone
- What is an official translation
- What are some examples of isoelectronic elements
- Why can't you forgive your parents
- Do animals have a thymus
- How can ethene be produced by dehydrohalogenation
- What are the benefits of cultured buttermilk
- Who sells vegetables and fruits
- Is Sri Chaitanya good for NEET coaching
- What are some examples of military courtesy
- How are sociopaths unstable in relationships?