What is the Chinese word for July
The controversial N word in the Chinese language
Recently, a businessman approached me about this N-word in the Chinese language. Which N-word? If you look in the Chinese-German dictionary, you will find the expression nà ge (4th tone, neutral tone) under the expression 那个 in the official transliteration Pinyin.
The German translation is those, that, that (there). The Chinese pronunciation nèigè is also common.
Opinions differ on this value-free expression, which is not lacking in any everyday and business situation. In intercultural encounters in China and in the Chinese-speaking environment, it repeatedly causes irritation and sometimes discomfort. Why?
Easy to explain: It is not uncommon for Chinese friends and business partners to make a sound that sounds like "nigga" when speaking quickly. After almost imperceptible bewilderment, a decision is made in a matter of seconds whether the faces of the international conversation partners take on an understanding or a constrained, dismissive trait. Who knows already at the beginning of his stay in China that »nigga« is not a racist expression, but that, that, that (there) means and is often woven into sentences as a filler word?
Under 'The "N" Word in Mandarin Chinese 那个 Niggaa ’you will find an informative video on the Internet with examples from everyday Chinese life.
Barbara Heyken is a sinologist and certified intercultural trainer.
Email: [email protected]
About expat news
Expat News is a German-language service and news portal that provides readers with information on all aspects of living and working abroad.
If you have any questions / suggestions or are interested in writing articles as a guest author, those interested are welcome to contact editor-in-chief Anne-Katrin Schwanitz.
- What is an LSI HDA modem
- Army men fight for war
- How do you rate Walmart
- How does limited capital affect startup marketing
- Is it possible to leave citizenship
- Take advantage of other countries in America
- Is roof spray foam safe
- Is the Audi RSQ a real car
- What does inheritance look like in C.
- How important is meditation to Buddhism
- How and why are memories suppressed
- What is the geography of New Zealand
- Are you from Banda Uttar Pradesh
- Why doesn't the sun burn out
- How is peanut oil made in Ghana
- Why does the Dutch team wear orange
- Where does the Indus come from
- How does your partner affect your personality
- How does Ansible Dry Run work
- Reminded Arya Ned of Lyanna
- Is life really bad and mischievous?
- Minecraft is a game
- What is pomace oil used for?
- Why does Nyquil give strange dreams