What was the Buddha's maiden name
The following excerpts from the life of Buddha are taken from Geshe Kelsang Gyatso's book Introduction to Buddhism:
The Buddha who founded the Buddhist religion is called Buddha Shakyamuni. “Shakya” is the name of the royal family into which he was born; “Muni” means “the able one”.
Buddha Shakyamuni was born as a royal prince in 624 BC in a place called Lumbini, which was originally in northern India but is now part of Nepal. His mother's name was Queen Mayadevi and that of his father was King Shuddhodana.
One night Queen Mayadevi dreamed that a white elephant came down from the sky and entered her lap. The white elephant that had entered her lap was a sign that that very night she had conceived a child who was a pure and powerful being. That the elephant came down from heaven meant that the child came from Tushita heaven, the Pure Land of Buddha Maitreya.
When the queen later gave birth to the child, instead of pain, she had a special, pure vision in which she stood holding the branch of a tree with her right hand while the gods Brahma and Indra took the child painlessly from their side. They then honored the child by offering him ritual ablutions.
When the king saw the child, he felt as if all his wishes had come true, and he called the young prince “Siddhartha”. Then he invited a brahmin seer to make predictions about the prince's future. The seer examined the child with his clairvoyance and said to the king, “There are signs that the boy will either become a Chakravatin king, a ruler over the entire world, or a fully enlightened Buddha.
However, since the time of the Chakravatin kings is over, it is certain that he will become a Buddha and that his beneficial influence will pervade the thousand million worlds like the rays of the sun. "
You can find more about Buddha in Introduction to Buddhism.
- What are the best pickup artist books
- What is playful dramatic music
- What are examples of Google's evil behavior
- What are psychographics in consumer behavior
- What are some keyboard hacks
- What is best for foreskin dryness
- How do we save Quora from propaganda
- How do you get children to sit still
- People lose weight while masturbating
- How is COD mobile
- Why do official transcripts cost money
- How is life at Mu Sigma
- Where does the mountain time begin?
- What drives madness in smart people
- Why is Russia bombing civilians in Syria
- How did you become a Manchester United fan?
- How does a bra work
- How do paving machines work
- Has Pondicherry similarities to Goa
- How many isomers are there
- What are some good gourmet cat foods
- The gay scene in Chicago is great
- Can hack Adrian Lamo Quora
- What happened to user manuals