How can you explain helplessness
English: Learned helplessness
Under the name learned helplessness one understands the result that unavoidable, uncontrollable and repeated aversive stimuli trigger in an individual. Those affected are firmly convinced that they can no longer avoid unpleasant or harmful situations, although this would be possible from a purely objective point of view. The learned helplessness is considered to be an explanatory approach for the emergence or maintenance of a depression.
The term was introduced in 1967 by the American psychologist Martin E. P. Seligman and describes a behavioral disorder within animals that is characterized by symptoms similar to depression and the principle of which can also be applied to humans. Seligman first researched this phenomenon in dogs that were stimulated by electrical shocks. So he was able to prove that stress can be a cause of depression.
Characteristic is reduced motivation, persistent lack of drive and a phlegmatic and sometimes apathetic behavior. Sleep disorders and a weakened immune system can also occur.
In summary, the thought structure of people with learned helplessness can be described as follows:
- You see yourself as the main problem, the external circumstances do not contribute to this (personal character).
- The problem is seen as omnipresent and permanent and is not only present in certain situations (general character),
- They see the problem as immutable rather than temporary (permanent in nature).
- Is molecular biological probabilistic
- What sport is played only in Bangladesh
- Is Budweiser really the best beer
- Why are Minnesotans so nice
- What does sic mean in Latin?
- What causes hypothyroidism in children
- How can I use Challan ITNS 280
- What are zinc vitamins good for?
- How much poverty is there in France?
- Which is better Manchester Liverpool or Leeds
- What is your happy place
- How do I become a good speaker
- How can a man abuse the internet
- Is K Pop dead
- Why did so many Romans speak Greek?
- What is a foreign containment policy
- What is political identification
- What's your earliest memory of baseball
- Why does Pregnancy improve the writing style?
- Can the reservation only be terminated after the monarchy
- How do people dehumanize others
- How do I improve my budget
- Religion was worth it
- Do fearful people fail to remember their dreams?