How can Mars be warmed up?
Mars atmosphere gets cold and warm twice a day
"We see a temperature maximum in the middle of the day, but also one shortly after midnight," says Armin Kleinböhl from the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California. The researchers used the Mars Climate Sounder instrument on board the spacecraft to study different regions on Mars at different times of the year. It has been known since the 1970s that temperature fluctuations on Mars can occur every half day. However, the researchers thought this was a peculiarity that should only occur during sandstorms on the Red Planet.
According to the new measurements, however, these variations occur throughout the year and across the planet. With the help of simulations, the researchers were able to show that water ice clouds at a height of ten to thirty kilometers are responsible for the effect. Although they are almost transparent to normal light, they absorb part of the thermal radiation that the warmed up Martian soil emits. They heat up in the process. Similar conditions occur on Earth, but only in the uppermost layers of the atmosphere. They cannot reproduce in the dense, lower atmosphere. The Martian atmosphere, on the other hand, is thin and water-rich enough. "We consider Mars to be a cold and arid world," says Kleinböhl, "but its atmosphere contains more water vapor than the upper layers of the earth's atmosphere."
- What can and cannot be recycled
- Does Africa develop south of the Sahara or not
- Power Rangers is the greatest show of all time
- Is fees plural for fees
- What are the uses of
- What is INS471 1
- What does Trump think of atheists
- Deepika Padukone is unhappy
- What are some secrets that everyone knows
- What exactly makes adhesives sticky
- What are extraterrestrials looking for on earth
- What are the new time management hacks
- What is wrong with Greek culture today
- Are there any indications of chi
- Oak trees are poisonous
- Are ionic compounds soluble in oil
- Baby Yoda is an alien
- Is Pinterest a women-dominated website
- How does Disneyland control news channels
- Can you unblock on Instagram
- What are some public libraries in Bangalore
- Why can't Nepalese go to Spain?
- Do male supplements actually work?
- How many types of roofs are there?