How do I create an online questionnaire
Creating online questionnaires made easy
This is how you create a good questionnaire with Unipark
As part of the Unipark program, Tivian XI GmbH offers all university members the survey tool EFS Survey for scientific and non-commercial studies at special conditions. You can find out how to create a successful questionnaire here.
Keep the technical hurdles for your survey low
Before you start creating your questionnaire, make sure that no participants are excluded from answering the online survey for technical reasons. The technical requirements should be at the lower level orientate the possibilities in the target group. This affects, for example, the amount of data to be transferred, the use of graphics, the use of programming techniques and languages.
Avoid long loading times and display errors
Pay attention to acceptable loading times and a good display with different screen sizes and resolutions. If you include scales, question texts or answer options in the questionnaire, make sure that all options are shown in full. Avoid display errors: for example, the scale option “don't know” does not appear on the screen - and the result is distorted.
Once you have taken these points into account, you can start creating the questionnaire. So that your survey is a success and that you gain enough respondents, observe the basic rules of questionnaire programming. As a little help, we have put together 9 tips for you that you should take to heart when formulating your questions.
9 tips on how to correctly formulate your questions
- Formulate briefly and concisely: Don't overwhelm your survey participants with questions that are too complex or complicated. Otherwise you will lose participants because they cancel the survey prematurely.
- Formulate as neutrally as possible: Don't ask leading questions. The survey participant should not be influenced.
- Make it clear: Avoid ambiguities and unnecessary technical terms. Otherwise, this leads to some questions not being understood.
- Avoid double negations. For example, when asked “What are you trying to avoid in your diet?” The answer option “eat few vegetables”. Better: The question “What do you pay attention to in your diet?” With the answer option “Eat a lot of vegetables”.
- Don't ask two questions in one. For example: “What do you think of long-distance trips or short trips?” Better split this question into two questions. Otherwise the participant does not know which question to answer.
- Make it clear. Create the online questionnaire in such a way that the questions are understood in the same way by all respondents.
- Choose the correct answers. For closed questions, the answer categories must be complete and not overlap.
- Help the participants: Give clear hints to answer the questions.
(Source: Gräf, Lorenz. 2010: Online survey. A practical introduction for beginners. Lit Verlag. Berlin)
Here's how to prepare your survey project
Before you enter a specific questionnaire in EFS Survey, you usually have to take extensive steps Preliminary work required:
- Determine the topic and target audience for the survey. In our example, you want to create an online questionnaire in which internet users should rate a website.
- Choose the right project type. Web surveys can be personalized or anonymous, depending on whether or not the group of participants is known before the survey begins. Since in our example the respondents are not known beforehand, it will be an anonymous survey.
- Get to know the possibilities of the survey tool. The planning of the specific questionnaire structure is software-dependent. Know what question types and tools are available in the software of your choice. Before creating your survey, ask yourself the following questions:
- Which question type is appropriate for a particular question?
- Which page of the questionnaire will contain which questions, explanatory text and multimedia elements?
- Which pages should be filtered - that is, only visible to selected participants?
- Which individual questions and which individual answer items should only be visible to selected participants?
Workflow for creating a questionnaire: When you have completed the preparatory work, you can move on to implementation. This includes the following work steps:
Video tutorial series on the individual project steps
Check out our video tutorial series on the EFS survey software. Here's how to do it Create your online questionnaire step by step, conduct and evaluate the survey. Ten videos on these topics are waiting for you in our tutorial series:
- The introduction to the user interface
- The 8 project steps
- How to create projects (step 1)
- How to build the questionnaire (step 2)
- How to activate projects (step 3)
- How to Test Projects (Step 4)
- How to invite participants to the survey (step 5)
- How to check the progress of the field phase (step 6)
- How to Export Data (Step 7)
- How to evaluate data in Reporting + (step 8)
- Can women ride a bike in India?
- More people are buying luggage online
- What is meant by heat pump
- How should people deal with sudden prosperity
- What would you like to advise Quora
- What is the average decline in the bear market
- What is the richest city in Ecuador
- Which Quoran did you learn the most from?
- Which words should be banned?
- How does Count Dracula seduce his victims
- Did Kaepernick know that Nike uses sweatshirts
- How long does the eLitmus exam take
- You could make a campfire on Mars
- Bernie Sanders makes you nervous
- How do you avoid rushing tickets?
- Why does Google not support payment from PayPal
- How many CBSE schools are there in Chennai
- What causes hypothyroidism in children
- Koreans are one age older
- What are some good books on prayer
- Who made the second gun
- What is a tax audit
- Does India need a national water policy?
- Can a PCMB student become a certification body?
- How many strains of cannabis are there
- Is the game Clash of Clans overrated?
- What is your favorite nail polish
- What is not safe for cats
- Where do female naval recruits train
- How can I regain my dignity
- Like life in MMM
- How much does a tea cost
- What is a popup call
- RBI officers prepare for public service