What are military weapons
Decolonize yourselves! (3/4) New weapons, new wars? Military concepts in the 21st century
Whether defense politicians, the military, international lawyers, representatives of the arms industry, supporters or critics, they all have one thing in common: the drone, the remote-controlled aircraft, is a weapon that requires new concepts. Legal, moral, police, intelligence. But do new weapons really require new warfare strategies?
- Maintenance of a US combat drone MQ-9 Reaper (picture alliance / U.S. Air Force / Staff Sgt. N.B./)
As one of the few western observers, the author speaks not only to the theorists. He also researches among those affected in the Afghan-Pakistani border region. The new thing about drone warfare, he states there, is at most the final air strike by an unmanned object. Before that happens, the military planners resort to the techniques of colonial warfare: ethnic conflicts are stoked, middlemen are hired, tribal leaders are courted as allies, criminals are co-opted, collective punishments are imposed.
Decolonize yourselves! (3/4)
New weapons, new wars?
Military concepts in the 21st century
By Marc Thörner
Director: Thomas Wolfertz
Speakers: Axel Wandtke, Jonas Baeck, Rainer Delventhal, Robert Dölle, Roland Görschen, Bruno Winzen and Martin Bross
Sound and technology: Ernst Hartmann and Katrin Fidorra
Editing: Karin Beindorff, Wolfgang Schiller
Production: Dlf 2014
(Part 4 on February 14th, 2020)
Marc Thörner was born in Hamburg in 1964. The journalist and non-fiction author studied history and Islamic studies at the University of Hamburg. His work focuses on the Maghreb countries, the Gulf States, Iraq, Pakistan and Afghanistan.
New weapons, new wars? - Military Concepts in the 21st Century (PDF)
New weapons, new wars? - Military concepts in the 21st century (text version)
- How does the data mining tool work
- What is OBE software
- Who was Bhulleh Shah
- Can you make me question my existence
- When did the doctrine of transubstantiation begin?
- What is so attractive about religion
- Statistically speaking, skydiving is dangerous
- Was Russia interested in Brexit?
- Dwaraka is the oldest city
- What can you say about networking 1
- What is the best hotel in Mexico
- What is meant by Article 19 2
- Is Debian Linux different from Debian KFreeBSD
- Do you know a lot about vampires?
- What is asset stripping
- Stoeren wind farms wind flow patterns
- What would you like to advise Quora
- Why can't dogs and cats see color?
- Taking up more space to update apps
- Why do children always ask strange questions
- Why do we wear pajamas
- Why are passwords so important for security
- What is the CSC2X formula
- What makes a function in mathematics undefined