Should I get the seasonal flu shot?
Flu vaccination FAQ
Flu vaccination FAQ 2020/2021
Why should I get the flu vaccine?
- You protect yourself.
- You protect your loved ones and generally sensitive people in our society.
- They ensure that along with a good immune system, you do not get sick.
- Life is simply more fun being healthy.
Basically everyone who belongs to a risk group should vaccinate. This includes:
- People over 65 years of age
- People with chronic illnesses
- Pregnant women
People who have contact with the risk groups should also vaccinate. This is how you protect these groups. With the FOPH's flu vaccination check, you can test whether you belong to a risk group.
In principle, anyone who has little desire for the flu can also get the vaccine.
Who shouldn't get vaccinated?
Infants under 6 months of age and those with allergies to vaccine components or hen's egg proteins should not be vaccinated. One exception is the Optaflu vaccine. This can be used by people with a chicken egg allergy.
I haven't had the flu in the past few years. Should I still get the vaccine?
That depends on whether you belong to a risk group (see above) or not. You probably don't need the vaccination. But still think about whether your circumstances have changed. If not much has changed, then you can leave the vaccination earlier. To be on the safe side, you can also do the BAG's flu vaccination check.
The situation has also changed due to the corona virus. It can be assumed that the cases will multiply again in autumn and winter. In order not to overload the health system, it is even more advisable to get the flu vaccination.
Does the flu shot help at all? How effective is the flu shot?
The flu shot helps. Your immune system can use the flu shot to make antibodies against the flu virus. However, it is possible that the flu viruses have changed differently than intended, in which case the flu vaccination is somewhat less useful.
According to the FOPH, the flu vaccination lowers the risk of illness in younger healthy adults by 70 to 90 percent, in older people by 30-50 percent.
Are there alternatives to vaccination?
Yes and no. A good immune system is very helpful and this can be supported. But the best protection is having a good immune system along with vaccination.
When should you get the flu vaccine?
The immune system needs a little time to develop enough defenses against the flu. We therefore recommend vaccinating between mid-October and mid-November. After two weeks at the latest, optimal protection is achieved, which then lasts between four to six months.
Where can I get the flu vaccine in Switzerland?
In pharmacies with a vaccination license, at doctors and in hospitals. It is easiest in pharmacies like ours here in Thalwil. All the places mentioned are trained and certified to give you the flu vaccination properly.
How expensive is the flu vaccination in the pharmacy?
At Central Apotheke Thalwil, the cost of the flu vaccination is CHF 39.
How does the flu shot work?
The flu is caused by viruses that make you sick (and infect as many others as possible with the virus). However, the immune system can be prepared to fight the virus quickly. The vaccine contains inactivated components of the flu virus. The immune system processes these and produces defensive bodies (antibodies). If a flu virus enters the body, the immune system can react quickly and destroy the virus.
What are the side effects of the flu shot?
In very rare cases, side effects can occur with the flu vaccination. The likelihood of these side effects is much smaller than that of the complications of flu. Simply put, if you have the flu, you will suffer and have problems many times more than if you had a flu shot.
- 10 to 40 percent of those vaccinated show redness or slight pain at the injection site.
- 5 to 10 percent of those vaccinated show a high temperature, muscle pain or a slight discomfort.
- Allergic reactions (rashes, edema, difficulty breathing) can occur very rarely.
- Very rarely, an immediate allergic reaction (anaphylactic shock) can occur.
- The autoimmune-induced Guillain-Barré syndrome can be observed in a temporal context for every 1 million vaccinations. However, this occurs much more frequently with the flu.
Why do you have to get the flu vaccine every year?
Unfortunately, the flu viruses change from season to season. There are always mutations. The flu vaccine from last season no longer helps.
I have fever. Can I get vaccinated?
We recommend postponing the vaccination. A fever means that your body has already been attacked. Give him time to get well and then protect yourself with the vaccination.
Who shouldn't get vaccinated?
Infants under 6 months of age and those with allergies to vaccine components or hen's egg proteins. The Optaflu® vaccine is an exception. This can be used by people with a chicken egg allergy. It is therefore important to mention this to the pharmacist or doctor.
Flu vaccination pros and cons?
We have written a detailed text for this question. You can find it here: Flu vaccination for and against
This text was last updated on July 30, 2020. Quality assured by Carmelina Pacifico, eidg. dipl. Pharmacist ETH.
Influenza vaccination service
Influenza vaccination in the Central-Apotheke Thalwil
Your time expenditure: 10 mins
Flu vaccination costs: CHF 38.85
Register online now
If you are not in the mood for the flu (in the future), you can subscribe to our flu information service. We will inform you in good time about the flu vaccination and how you can optimize your immune system.
- How will social and online music develop
- Do you currently have feelings for someone
- What is Keras Mask R CNN
- What is the IUPAC name for CH3CH2COCH2CH3
- Why should I use Chrome Canary
- Who would win Thanos or Kratos
- Where will mortgage rates bottom out
- Why do I keep seeing 1111
- What is math philosophy or science
- What is the test of true love
- What is the system of scientific notation
- In modern society, anonymity is now impossible
- Is multi level marketing legal in Australia
- XGBoost handles multicollinearity itself
- How people's values are formed
- Why do friends and family care
- What are SVM and decision trees
- Do men fantasize about having a harem?
- Which coffee chain is your ultimate favorite
- Can derivatives be defined as anti-integrals
- How do I create an online questionnaire
- How do I erase a black face
- Ed Sheeran is overrated
- We can sell my bikes