What is an RTD sensor
How does an RTD sensor work and what types of RTDs are there?
RTD stands for Resistance Temperature Detector, which refers to a temperature sensor. As the name suggests, it uses changes in resistance to sense temperature, but that alone may not tell you enough to know how an RTD works.
How does an RTD work?
As the temperature increases, the resistance of the RTD increases and vice versa. The control system or transmitter is constantly sending a current through the RTD sensor. As the temperature changes, the current resistance increases or decreases. Here the RTD detects this shift and reports it.
Suppliers build RTD sensors from a variety of materials. Platinum, copper, and nickel are widely used, with platinum being a big favorite because it offers the best stability in a wide range of temperatures.
Also, we can choose between two, three or four wire RTDs, but what does that mean? These wires create the compensation you need for the cable. Of course not with the two-wire option, so we should only choose it if we just need an approximate value. The three-wire option is the most common in many applications
Signal converter / isolator for RTD
RTD sensor types
Many factors influence the properties of an RTD sensor. Different materials such as platinum, copper or nickel can influence the range and linearity. Element types can also have effects, e.g. thin-film elements or wire-wound elements. Also, we can choose between two, three or four wire RTDs, but what does that mean? The most common version is three-wire, but each option has its advantages and disadvantages.
If you need help choosing the right temperature sensor for your application, take a look at our new intelligent temperature measurement wizard.
To learn more about RTD sensors, you can get in touch with our engineers!
- Why will every sin find one
- Why do mountaineers leave garbage in the mountains
- How do I edit videos more efficiently
- What the British call escalators
- How can I style leopard print shirts
- Which book is best for railroad exams?
- What is the difference between MBBS and Bams
- How many counties are there in Maryland
- How is civil engineering in VIT Vellore
- What is the risk of transporting oil
- What are Commercial Home Automation Systems
- Is Google Pro Life or Pro Choice
- Why did Lenin or Hitler not have children?
- What is the Quran
- Is social media marketing important for restaurants
- Is Ty Lee gay or bi
- Will there be a war for history?
- What distinguishes sadness from depression
- What are the best Android tablet apps
- What is meant by packaging in marketing
- What kind of people have 29 teeth
- In France we can play professional football
- Which is India's longest and oldest street
- How can I get a svbtle invitation
- Many atheists believe in occultism
- How is chemotherapy used to treat cancer
- What is the Japanese word for ally
- What is NBAR in Cisco
- What is the difference between GPS and BDS
- Is the law in defense of marriage constitutional
- What are occult sciences
- How predictive are the ratings of Morningstars mutual funds