Where can I buy weeds in Egypt
On SEKEM's fields: Orange time in Egypt
The cultivation of the fields is still done entirely by hand in Adleja. Aied is therefore always very busy, for example pulling weeds, securing the water supply or pruning the trees. In addition, the plantations are treated with specially made preparations in accordance with the guidelines of Demeter agriculture.
Water supply remains a challenge
Since the government built a canal between the Nile and Suez canals a few years ago, the farm has been irrigated with water from the great river that flows lengthways through Egypt. “The advantage is that this water is not as salty as that from the wells. The desert soils are heavily contaminated with salt, mainly due to decades of mismanagement, ”reports Mariam Abouleish. The soil of the SEKEM farms, which has been cultivated biodynamically for more than 30 years, can absorb up to 20 percent more water than conventionally farmed soil. This is of great importance in Egypt, as there is artificial irrigation all year round.
Another challenge is the control of plant pests and fungi. For this purpose, the plants are treated with oils, micronized sulfur or other natural preparations according to biodynamic principles.
Incidentally, more people are employed in Adleja than on a similarly large German farm. A number of agricultural machinery familiar to German farmers are not available in Egypt. Many farms are therefore comparatively small. The use of large harvesting machines is therefore not worthwhile.
The young orange trees bore fruit for the first time in 2014. “Usually we get ten to 15 tons of yield per hectare,” says Mustafa Al Anwar. The agricultural engineer has been part of the Adleja team for eleven years. "This year we expect at least twice as much - it will take a few more years for the young trees to deliver the full yield". What the engineer likes most about SEKEM is the spirit of cooperation, also on the management side. “We are in constant contact with each other and are often asked for our opinion. I appreciate that we have the opportunity to actively contribute our experiences. "
Respectful interaction, not only among employees
SEKEM's employees also benefit from health insurance and regular training. They also have the opportunity to take part in a wide range of cultural offers. If you take a look at the fields next to Adleja, you quickly notice that SEKEM not only treats its employees with respect, but also attaches great importance to cleanliness and order. In addition, many of the conventional fields are exposed to exhaust gases from large expressways. Adleja, on the other hand, can be found on a remote country road and is surrounded by tree hedges.
After SEKEM's orange trees have been tended and raised for five years, they will soon be ready to be harvested for the second time. For this purpose, the sugar content of the fruit is measured regularly. The SEKEM oranges are particularly fruity due to the Egyptian sun and at the same time have a refreshing, sour note. "SEKEM's company ISIS Organic picks up the fruit and processes it further," explains Mustafa Al Anwar. "The fruits for the Egyptian market are washed, pressed and bottled as the popular ISIS Organic orange juice." However, the oranges for German customers have to be processed in another company due to special regulations. They then go to the German fruit juice producer Voelkel, for example. For some time now, SEKEM has been growing around 20 hectares of oranges of the Valensia Late variety for him.
Careful agriculture for inclusive development
With the sustainable cultivation of oranges, SEKEM makes a contribution to the improvement of the working conditions of the people in Egypt as well as to the maintenance of their healthy environment. Due to the particularly careful cultivation methods and the efforts to ensure fair management, the oranges are an important part of the initiative's integrative approach to protecting nature and people not separately from one another, but together.
- What is the idea of pooled variance
- How can we eliminate the effects of exorcism?
- What material is used to make nunchucks?
- How is the job of numismatics
- What is the development of skin pigmentation
- Is Buddha's karma theory true?
- Google loose viewers
- What is more important than the human connection
- Which is more complex poker or chess
- Which is better Twitter or Facebook
- What is the future of global warming
- Which part used in leather clothing
- Your children play musical instruments
- Is it better to be different?
- Why is what we love killing us?
- How many minutes are 50 km
- Why are religions against recreational sex
- Why are drug dealers allowed?
- What is Honeywell's Technology Stack
- Has the Chinese government ever closed
- Are vaccines homeopathic
- Why are children afraid of the dark
- What do Cav Scouts learn in AIT
- Ancient Greece How did Socrates woo Xanthippe
- Maple is a hardwood
- Are chicken bones dangerous to dogs
- How long did the war of 1812 last
- What are some of the most satisfying art techniques
- Why do people like Bloody Mary cocktails
- What does Hollywood not understand about poverty
- What impressed Marco Polo about China
- Can you get steam water
- What are the side effects of propane