What are the side effects of LASIK
LASIK is currently the most frequently used procedure to permanently correct ametropia. The promises made by eye clinics that specialize in laser surgery sound particularly appealing to all those who neither want nor can come to terms with glasses or contact lenses. The procedure takes only a few minutes, during which the outer layer of the cornea is lifted. The laser removes part of the connective tissue, then the cornea is closed again.
Disadvantages that are obvious
An obvious drawback is that they are still relative high costs from around 1,500 to 2,000 euros per eye with reputable providers, the health insurance does not cover these costs. It also offers a laser operating room no guarantee that a remnant of the ametropia will not remain and you don't need glasses with minor prescription or you don't need one renewed operation must undergo. Even before the PresbyopiaThe laser eye surgery, which usually begins around the age of 45, does not save; Lifelong freedom from glasses will therefore remain a pipe dream for the time being.
frequent side effects
Although the LASIK procedure is considered safe in itself, it is still an operation. In addition, there are few statements about long-term effects. Studies from the USA also show that the majority of patients after a laser surgery on the eye under various Side effects suffers. For the studies, patients were examined four weeks, two months and half a year after LASIK and also filled out a questionnaire that the ophthalmologist did not see.
28 percent suffered from one Dry eye (sicca syndrome), these patients need to use eye drops several times a day, and in severe cases up to every hour, to get rid of stinging eyes or a foreign body sensation.
A well-known consequence of LASIK can be deteriorated vision at dusk According to the study, around 50 percent of patients also reported about Double vision with reflective objects, Rings of light around an object or Beams of lightn that seem to emanate from a light source.
By and large, most patients are satisfied with their laser surgery. But: Many seem to simply accept such side effects - possibly as a price for the long-awaited glasses-free vision.
Who is LASIK suitable for?
LASIK is not suitable for everyone with ametropia. Before doing this, you should definitely inform comprehensively, have a detailed examination by an ophthalmologist and a reputable provider choose. In any case, we do not recommend dumping prices or questionable offers from abroad.
LASIK checklist: That could speak against it
• Job and any absenteeism in the event of complications or a few days directly after the operation
• High costs
• Certain pre-existing conditions
• Previous eye diseases, very large pupils, thin corneas
• Taking medication
• Dry eyes: LASIK can significantly affect the sicca syndrome
• Stable ametropia: Has the eyesight remained the same for over a year?
• Very slight or very severe ametropia / astigmatism
Risks and Side Effects
• Like any operation, LASIK carries the risk of infection or very rare but possible serious eye damage
• Possibly not a satisfactory result (residual ametropia or overcorrection), so that a second operation may be necessary
• With the onset of presbyopia, reading glasses may still be necessary
• No long-term experience available
• Side effects such as dry eyes, poor twilight vision (it may no longer be possible to drive in the dark), undesirable lighting effects
- What does tres jolie mean in English
- What films have secret endings
- Can you negotiate a crime
- Can Bob Dylan get his soul back?
- Is Justin Beiber relevant today
- What is John James Audubon famous for
- How can I complete myself alone
- What do I need to know before studying abroad
- Is the linear regression multivariate
- Do you trust Bisq
- Bananas lose nutrients when frozen
- Early humans had a third eyelid
- What happens before A.
- Al Davis was a successful NFL owner
- An infinite universe can be contingent
- What is Windows Driver Signature Enforcement
- Macrocephaly causes developmental delay in children
- Can you explain changes in DID
- What is the scope of Java 8
- What caused Mt. Gox to fail
- Are open relationships normal? Are they healthy?
- What is the best subject in school
- Gerrymandering is illegal in the US
- Mederma cream helps with hypertrophic scars