Horses are ruminants
The cow in the horse: Horses chew in a similar way to ruminants
Herbivores are better able to utilize their hard-to-digest food if it is severely chewed through intensive chewing. In ruminants such as cows, sheep, goats, deer, llamas or camels, eating and ruminating are two different processes: After grazing, they choke up larger parts of their food and chew it again with particularly uniform, rhythmic movements. In this way they achieve the highest degree of shredding of their food.
Researchers from the University and ETH Zurich now looked into the question of whether the chewing movements of ruminants with each other and with those of other herbivores are comparable. In their study with horses, cows and camels, they used special chewing halters that register the movements of the mouth and can automatically differentiate between chewing and ruminating.
The horse showed an unexpected result. "To our surprise, the evaluation software showed that the horse did not eat, but chewed on it, so to speak," says Marie Dittmann, doctoral student at the University of Zurich and the ETH Zurich. "Although horses are not ruminants, they chop up their food with chewing strokes that are just as rhythmic as the cows do when they chew."
For Marcus Clauss, professor at the Clinic for Zoo, Pet and Wildlife Animals at the University of Zurich, the similarity in the chewing rhythm of such different animal groups is understandable: “Horses don't have a second chance to chop up something that is difficult to digest. Therefore, they have to chew very thoroughly as they eat. Obviously, this works best with rhythmic and steady movements.
- What is Decision Stream
- What is the future of Daenerys Targaryen
- Is capoeira a good fighting style
- Is a pen precise on a laptop
- How do I install the custom recovery
- What is an intermodal dispatcher
- What inspired you to create an Instagram
- What are some interesting startups in consumer electronics
- What is sterol
- Is civil engineering good or aeronautical engineering
- Is it a disadvantage in wrestling to be big?
- The Pentagon has always been called the Pentagon
- What is the nutritional value of tea
- Which Bollywood films have shown time travel
- What is IP65 lighting
- How weird is American food
- What do people understand by vacuum distillation?
- How do ocean currents affect precipitation?
- What does a thermometer measure in the first place
- What Garret Fitzgerald Ireland's greatest politician
- Who is watching the superbowl tonight
- Why is Christmas so popular in China
- Should I learn Java or Android?
- What is Badu Gili
- Why is Ivanka Trump moving to DC
- How can you treat cavities
- Where are forgotten memories
- Why is cooked rice sticky
- Can the king move without a check
- Starship Entertainment accepts foreigners
- Attta fish attack snails
- How is angular js real time
- Is Darth Maul dead
- Is it wrong to be humble?