Should Jussie Smollet's fees have been dropped

Jussie Smollett: "Empire" actor has to go back to court

A previous charge against the US actor for fabricating a racist and homophobic attack directed against him has been dropped. Now Jussie Smollett has to go back to court.

The US actor Jussie Smollett, who is said to have faked a racist and homophobic attack directed against him, is threatened with new legal proceedings. A grand jury in Chicago has charged the 37-year-old with violating public order, Special Prosecutor Dan Webb of Cook County announced on Tuesday. Smollett is accused of making false statements to the police. He is due to appear in court on February 24th.

Earlier charges against the actor were unexpectedly dropped last March. The headline-grabbing case began in January 2019 when Smollett told police he was attacked by two masked men near his home one night. In February, the actor was arrested on suspicion of false testimony. According to investigators, he is said to have paid the men to fake the attack against him. The gay and African American actor wanted to advance his career, it said. Smollett denied the charges and the charges were eventually dropped.

The city of Chicago, which invested a lot of time and money in investigating the case, was outraged. She filed a civil lawsuit against Smollett last year to recoup the costs.