Difference between extractive and azeotropic distillation
to directory mode
If the separation factors for the separation of a mixture are close to one, separation by means of simple rectification is not possible or only at high investment and operating costs, i.e. columns with many trays and a very high reflux ratio.
The introduction of a further component can facilitate the separation here, even if the additional component makes a further separation step necessary, which consists in separating this component.
In addition to the possibility of feeding in an additional, high-boiling component that "extracts" one of the two components to be separated, there is also the possibility of using an additional component that forms an azeotrope (temperature minimum azeotrope) with one of the two components to be separated. forms. This then leaves the column at the head.
This azeotrope does not necessarily have to represent a new separation problem, since it occurs in a three-component mixture. If it is present alone, i.e. without the third component separated off in the bottom of the column, it either does not exist or it can be easily separated. Rectification is not used for separation, but other separation processes such as extraction or, in the case of a heteroazeotrope, a simple phase separation of two liquid phases that have formed.
When selecting the components for carrying out an azeotropic rectification, components are selected whose boiling points are in a similar range to that of the components to be separated in order to keep the additional energy consumption required as low as possible. Furthermore, these additional components must form an azeotrope with one of the two components, which can then be easily separated, possibly also using a different separation process.
The schematic structure of such a separation process is shown in the following figure. The mixture to be separated and the additional component are added to column I. The high boiler B is taken off at the bottom of the column, while the azeotrope from A + Z is taken off at the top of the column. This azeotrope is separated in separation process II. The recovered additional component Z is returned to the first column. Any losses must be compensated.
- Typical separation problems that can be solved with the help of azeotropic rectification:
- Ethanol-water additional components: benzene, cyclohexane, pentane, toluene, etc.
- Propanol-water additional component: benzene
- Aliphatic aromatic mixtures with a narrow boiling range. Additional components: acetone, butanone-2
- Acetic acid-water additional component: butyl acetate
- Pyridine-water additional components: benzene, toluene
Specialization: The separation of benzene and cyclohexane with acetone as an additional component
Consolidation / illustration: Ethanol absolute with benzene with animation of the process
- Why does Wikipedia not have a LinkedIn page
- A cover narcissist will come back
- Is it possible for me to remove scars?
- Why are Indian startups no longer working together?
- What is the boiling point of ghee
- Bleeding cauliflower ears
- Who knows AB de Villiers
- What is Redux in React JS
- Bitcoin is a commodity
- How do eucalyptus steams affect breathing?
- Is the linear regression multivariate
- Where should I buy pure ghee online
- What is your optional paper and why
- What is the history of Shotokan Karate
- Which is the largest ocean in Pakistan
- How do green beans get their color
- What is an internet article
- How is Zina
- Is kudzu a parasite
- Does Islam need a reformation 1
- Why are there mixed toilets in Japan
- Is America really a republic?
- How healthy is corn
- Fixed-term investments are enough for life
- What's your story of lost love
- Essentially, Thanos is Marvel's Darkseid
- What are the benefits of digital marketing
- Is the French Revolution good or bad
- Should I leave the law at 34?
- Hosting of porn sites
- Did Jehovah or Jesus create the earth
- Resumegenius is a free resume creation website
- Can you create rifles in a railgun
- Will Kyrie Irving win another NBA championship?