What is your opinion on medical travel
Medicines while traveling
Climate and language
As long as you are traveling in Germany, there are usually no problems. In an emergency, you will find a doctor almost everywhere and a pharmacy on duty around the clock to provide you with the medication you need. But difficulties can already arise in neighboring countries, for example if you need a supply of medicine and the pharmacist does not know the German trade name.
In exotic countries, medical care is often worse than in Germany. In addition, there are language difficulties and extreme climatic conditions. The latter can affect the physical condition and shelf life of medication.
Anyone who has to take medication regularly should therefore plan their trips well. It is also important to talk to the treating doctor, who will help you plan. Talking to your pharmacist can also be helpful.
Before you leave, write down exactly when and how much of which medication you are taking. You should also make a note of the active ingredient, because medicines often have different trade names abroad. You should always have this list of medications to hand when you are on vacation.
Ask your GP to compile your disease diagnoses. Almost every medical professional in the world understands the Latin technical terms. A list in the local language of your travel destination is even better.
Take enough of all medication with you. You have to expect that you will not get your preparations at the holiday destination. Also think of emergency resources. If you want to or have to stay longer, your supply should last beyond the planned duration of your vacation.
Also pack the package insert ("laundry slip") for your medication. This information can be very useful in an emergency.
All important medical items belong in hand luggage within easy reach, because suitcases sometimes go their own way. A current certificate from your family doctor can prevent misunderstandings at the airport, at customs or with the police in the holiday country. The declaration should be multilingual if possible and list all medicines and medical items (e.g. syringes) that you have with you.
Extreme fluctuations in temperature, UV radiation and moisture can make drugs unusable. Insulin, for example, cannot tolerate heat, but it must not freeze either. You should transport such sensitive medication in well-insulated containers. At your holiday destination, it is best to store tablets, ampoules of ointments & Co. in a cool, dark and dry place.
Always take all medication regularly, even when traveling. This is how you prevent complications.
Hygiene can be a problem, especially in distant countries. It is therefore better not to take tablets with tap water. It is safe to drink from the sealed mineral water bottle.
If you swallow your medicine at home according to a certain rhythm, you should also adhere to it at the holiday destination. Before you travel, discuss with your doctor how you can best adjust the intake times to a possible time difference.
Extreme climatic conditions, but also sporting activity on vacation, can change your medication needs. The dose of active ingredient may have to be adjusted. Before you leave, seek advice from your doctor.
- Checklist for travel preparation From a foreign health insurance certificate to a toothbrush: everything you need to know in advance of a trip.
- First-aid kit checklist A first-aid kit belongs in every luggage. What should be in it depends on the destination, the duration of the trip and the type of trip.
- Medical certificate stating that you are carrying medication and accessories Some medication and medical accessories can cause problems in hand luggage or at customs. These include fluids such as insulin, syringes or certain pain relievers. Have your doctor fill out and sign the following certificate to carry with you.
Author & source information
- In Fallout 4, critical hits can miss
- How do you maintain tooth enamel
- Is Orlando more dangerous than New Orleans
- How are the infrastructures of NRS
- What if an airplane can't land
- Do fearful people fail to remember their dreams?
- Is Priyanka Chopra a Hollywood Actress
- What are measurement technology and logistics
- What do monarchs think of ordinary people?
- What are the best breakups
- How should I sell my handicrafts online
- Is chess a game or a sport
- What are heterotrophic plants
- Neuroscience How Feasible is Moravec Transfer
- Interior design has a larger scope
- What makes some people smarter than others?
- How do engineers use the design process
- Conducts electricity
- How do I explode an air conditioner
- What is the best horror fiction
- Are there secular parties in Iran?
- SnapChat wants to implode
- Can you get Laeuse from a barber shop
- Trumpeter swans are protected
- What does the Arabic word chukram mean
- Can chemical engineers practice in sugar factories
- NDA cadets play cricket matches
- What is ground marmots
- Is nicotine-free vaping safe
- What is the best bike for trekking
- What makes Toastmasters successful
- Which fruit is famous
- What is actually giving you a headache