Bernie Sanders makes you nervous
22-year-old US poet Gorman caused a sensation with her poem at Biden's swearing-in ceremony
Washington - The only 22-year-old US poet Amanda Gorman recited one of her poems at the inauguration of the new US President Joe Biden on Wednesday. At the ceremony in front of the Capitol in Washington, Gorman read her work "The Hill We Climb".
It is about the difficult times that the US has endured and has to endure, the storming of the supporters of the elected President Donald Trump on the Capitol two weeks ago - but also about hope for the future. The nation, said Gorman on the steps in front of the Capitol, was not broken, but simply incomplete. It says roughly:
The 22-year-old received hymns of praise with her poem. On social media, for example, former US President Barack Obama and US talk show host Oprah Winfrey congratulated: "I've never been more proud to see another young woman stand up."
Poetry as a window to the world
Born in Los Angeles in 1998, Gorman was honored in 2017 by the US Library of Congress with the title "National Youth Poet Laureate". Like US President Biden, she had a speech impediment as a child - reaching for a pen was her way of sharing her thoughts with the world. Gorman was aware of the historical significance of their appearance: "We are the descendants of a country and a time when a skinny black girl, descended from slaves and raised by a single mother, can dream of becoming president one day - to then recite a poem for a president. "Former US Presidents Barack Obama, George W. Bush and Bill Clinton also shared their call for unity in a joint video.
Youngest poet at a swearing-in ceremony
At past inaugurations of US presidents, poets have recited their works again and again, but Gorman is by far the youngest. During her performance, she honored her predecessor Maya Angelou, who had read one of her poems when Bill Clinton was inaugurated, with a small gesture: She wore a ring in the shape of a bird in a small gold cage - a reference to Angelou's work "I know why the caged bird sings" (I know why the caged bird sings).
Bernie Sanders becomes a meme
In addition to Gorman's appearance, the Democratic Senator Bernie Sanders, who ran against Biden in the primary campaign, caused amusement. At the inauguration, the self-proclaimed democratic socialist was sitting in the VIP gallery, looking a little grim, wrapped in a khaki Gore-Tex jacket and thick woolen mittens. The picture quickly made the rounds on Twitter. Dozens of memes followed.
Internet users maliciously commented that the 79-year-old from the state of Vermont looked like he was standing in line at the post office or as if he had just stopped at the Biden swearing-in on the way to the pharmacy. (rio, balm, APA, January 21, 2021)
- How can content discovery websites be monetized
- What is quantitative and computerized financing
- Why is Slovakia so religious
- How do I approach an unknown girl
- When were the cows first domesticated?
- Does Thailand Ol
- Musical talent is largely innate
- Who is the proletariat?
- What do cats think of people who sing?
- What is the golden rectangle in art
- Are decentralized stock exchanges the future of trading
- Why can't a Mandalorian show his face?
- What are business insights
- What are the consequences of a pulmonary embolism
- How can you get organic milk
- A separated woman can have friends
- Where can I download PDF novels
- How many have actually seen an alien?
- What are Fortnite Overtime Challenges
- Where can you sell junk cars
- What's the next NASA project
- How old do most rattlesnakes live
- Why Fast 16 Hours
- What does arsenic do